If the recent pandemic has had an upside, it is the number of individuals who have taken the opportunity to turn their dreams of business ownership into reality. Whether as a source of supplemental income or as their primary means of profit, countless aspiring entrepreneurs have taken that first step toward owning their own enterprise—and for many that has meant launching a private label skin care line.
Lucky for them, the beauty industry is booming, and experts predict that the trend will continue well into the next decade. Even more encouraging is that there are currently more ways to market and sell custom beauty products than ever before. While it’s important to begin with a well-designed eCommerce website (to establish your brand identity and give potential customers a place to find out more about you), branching out into other sales channels is an excellent way to grow and scale your business.
Opportunities abound for skin care and beauty product sellers.
There are three main outlets in which to sell your custom skin care and beauty products: online, in person, and in store. Below we will take a look at each outlet, with a particular focus on in-store sales and the broad range of opportunities available. You might just be surprised!
- Online: Although a branded website is preferable, it certainly isn’t your only platform for selling your products online. If you are just starting out and lack the resources to build out an eCommerce site, consider selling your products through a reputable online marketplace such as Amazon Handmade or Etsy. Social media sites such as Facebook Marketplace and Instagram have also become popular places to promote and sell skin care and beauty products.
- In person: Craft shows, farmers’ markets, community events, and other in-person venues are a great way to get your brand in front of potential buyers and demonstrate what makes your products unique. Consider offering product demonstrations, giving away sample-size items, or even holding a raffle for a free regular-size product (tip: gathering names and email addresses will help you grow your customer email list).
- In store: Oftentimes, new beauty entrepreneurs are hesitant to approach retailers or local businesses and ask to sell their products in store. However, this is one of the simplest and smartest ways to get your products in front of a large audience and bring in additional revenue—typically with very little effort on your part!
Spas and salons may seem like the obvious choices, and they are certainly good ones, but as you expand your custom product line to include new offerings (for example. hemp skin care products or comprehensive wellness supplements) your options for brick-and-mortar sales also increase. The following are just a few examples of places where you can sell the products you created with Onoxa:
- Natural food markets
- Local nutrition shops
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Personal training studios
- Yoga studios
- Wellness retreats
- Hotels and inns
- Boutiques and specialty shops
- Dance studios
- Fitness clothing retailers
- Juice bars
Spend the day getting to know your local area, either by driving around or searching online, and look for places where your products may complement the existing products or services. Chances are, retailers will jump at the chance to provide added value for their patrons, and you can sit back and enjoy a set-it-and-forget revenue stream that makes you money even when you’re not there.
Smart sellers are always looking for new ways to promote and sell their products.
Being proactive about promoting your brand and diversifying your sales channels is critical to your success as a business owner in the beauty industry. Don’t be afraid to seek out new opportunities for growth at every turn, because even if your products are not a fit for one retailer, chances are they are just what the next retailer has been seeking.
Ready to launch or expand your branded skin care and beauty line?
Onoxa is continually adding new and exciting products to our private label inventory, from high-end beauty products to luxury hemp skin care, large-size backbar items, and our newly launched line of private label supplements to support beauty and overall wellness.