You put a lot of thought and planning into launching your private label skin care line. Why let the ball drop when it comes to designing your product labels? A little creativity makes a big difference when it comes to sales.
According to a recent study, 72% of Americans—nearly three quarters of all shoppers—say packaging design influences their product purchasing decision. Not only that, but the average consumer makes a decision to buy in as little as a third of a second, and they typically make judgments about the actual product just by looking at the label.
The bottom line? Product label design matters.
Which means if your label isn’t wowing your potential customers right off the bat, you could be missing out on key sales.
Your product label is your first opportunity to make a strong, positive impression with your potential customers.
If done correctly, a good label design will help your product stand out from others and entice people to buy, so the first step is to do your research.
What type of customer are you trying to reach? What are their needs and goals? And how can your product help them achieve their beauty aspirations?
Next, think about the story behind your business and your brand. What is it that you want to promote? What inspired you to want to help people feel beautiful? And what is the best way to convey that message through design?
Finally, what are your competitors doing? Take a look at similar brands and see what resonates with you when you look at their labels. What feelings do those labels evoke, and how can you use that information in your own label design process?
Each of these steps is an important part of creating a well-designed label, and a “mood board” is a great way to start.
Pinterest and similar sites can help you create a collage of design elements you love, from your favorite brand labels to colors, fonts, and imagery that you find appealing.
While you’re there, check out Onoxa’s Pinterest board for label design inspiration and helpful suggestions from our marketing team. (See something you like? Upload the images to your Order Design Request Form or send us your label inspiration and order number to [email protected] so that our designers can create something unique for you!)
Once you’ve pulled everything together in your design collage, see what stands out. You may be surprised by what captures your eye! And chances are, if it speaks to you, it will speak to your customers.
From there, start to develop a rough idea in your head of what you want your label design to look like. When you think about your brand identity, is it serious and upscale? Clean and simple? Fun and playful?
Once you have these answers, try making a quick sketch of what you imagine the perfect label will look like. When you work with Onoxa, our expert designers can take your idea and turn it into exactly what you envisioned.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when designing your label.
- Color. The first thing people will see on your label is color, and the right color(s) can go a long way toward enticing consumers and helping your product sell. Different colors evoke different emotions in your buyers, but there is such a thing as overdoing it. Avoid using too many colors (between two and four is the norm) and make sure they are complementary colors.
- Typography and fonts. The fonts you choose, and how those fonts appear on your label, are also very important. Words should be clean and readable, and they should stand out against the background color (e.g., white text on a dark background, dark text on a white background). Avoid using more than two different fonts, as this can make your label look too cluttered and difficult to read.
- Imagery. For smaller labels such as skin care and cosmetic products, images (including photographs) and icons can be used to save room and display information faster (e.g., an eye to convey that the product is for eyes). Just make sure you have the legal rights to images you use.
- Industry regulations. With skin care products especially, you will need to leave room on your label for legally required text such as ingredients, directions for use, cautions, distribution information, and in some cases a bar code. When you work with Onoxa, our designers take care of all the legal text and incorporate it for you automatically.
- DIY or hire a pro? Designing your own label may feel out of your comfort zone, but consider this: Hiring a graphic designer can be pricey, and it may take several tries to get just what you want. When you work with Onoxa, our expert designers will create a free label design based off the Design Request Form you will fill out immediately after checkout on your order confirmation page
Start with our basic label template, and let your creative juices flow.
Onoxa label templates are merely meant to be a starting point, but really it’s up to you to bring your brand to life and create something that compels and sells. Don’t be afraid to flex your creative muscle and challenge our designers; they love the chance to create something truly unique that will wow your customers.
Remember, product packaging is a powerful tool, and you want a visually stunning label that stands out. Need a little inspiration from other Onoxa users? Be sure to visit our Onoxa Beauty Insiders Facebook group to see what beauty entrepreneurs like you are doing to help their products stand out.
Did you know you can rename your products when purchasing from Onoxa?
That’s right! Like our basic label templates, our product names are only suggestions. And, because Onoxa products are made to have multiple purposes, your product names can easily be tailored to market to your customer base.
You can also name a product after its key ingredients, such as “Rose Serum” for our Pro-Repair Serum, “Lavender Salve” for our Detox Nightwear Cream, or “White Tea Toning Mist” for our Fresh Tea Face Mist.
Another idea? Try naming your products after someone special or even the name of your brand. If your skin care line is called Layla’s Skin Solutions, for example, you can use the name “Layla’s Nourishing Hair Serum” instead of our Biotin Boost Hair Serum.
We’ve listed a few more examples below.
Enhancing Lip Plumper: Peppermint Plumping Lip Gloss, Bright Botanical Lip Serum
Volumizing Lash & Brow Serum: Amino-Boosting Lash Serum, Vita-E Lash & Brow Booster
Exfoliating Face Scrub: Coconut Face & Body Scrub, Jojoba Cleansing Facial Scrub
Cold Brew Beard Oil: Coffee & Argan Beard Oil, Arabian Brewed Beard Oil
Cucumber Herbal Eye Gel: Cooling Cucumber Face Gel, Herbal Face & Eye Gel
Hand & Body Restore Cream: Green Tea Body Moisturizer, Vitamin A Restorative Creme
This type of branding will make your products unique, plus it’s fun to come up with new and different names for your products.
Don’t love your current label design? You can change it up at any time!
With Onoxa, every order and every label can be unique, and it’s free to create a new label design. If you are unhappy with your current labels, you can alter the design at any time, from the color palette to the fonts and imagery. Or, you can have a different color palette for each label design.
Remember, your products are meant to inspire beauty. Consumers, especially those who buy skin care and cosmetic products, care about appearance. This means they will look for labels that are visually appealing.
If your labels are not conveying the right message to your potential customers, it could affect their decision to purchase your products, which may ultimately impact your overall sales. Take the time to add your unique artistic vision to your label design, and discover the difference a little creativity can make!
Ready to create the perfect label or enhance your existing products labels?