We often hear that beautiful skin comes naturally. But for many of us, beautiful skin is actually the result of following a consistent daily routine and adopting beneficial lifestyle habits to keep our skin looking smooth, supple, and radiant on a daily basis.
When your customers come to you asking for the best way to achieve healthy-looking skin, it helps to remember that this question does have a not a one-size-fits-all answer. What works for one individual may not work for another. Likewise, while one customer may see the benefits of their skin care routine in just a few days, another may have to wait a few weeks before seeing results.
So, where should you begin when offering advice on developing a customized skin care routine? Here are four simple tips to help you get started.
Knowing their skin type is an important first step.
All too often, customers will fail to see the results they want to see because they are unaware of their skin type and what products or ingredients will work best for their complexion. Let’s take a look at the five common skin types below and how to help your customers identify which type they are.
- Normal skin: This type of skin tends to have a balanced T-zone (the area of the face shaped like a “T” that includes the forehead, nose, and chin) is generally clear of breakouts or dryness. Keep skin ageless with a hydrating face moisturizer.
- Oily skin: Like the name implies, oily skin is characterized by excess oil production, primarily in the T-zone. Skin may look shiny or feel greasy to the touch, and it may be more prone to blemishes and breakouts. A charcoal mask is great to help eliminate excess oil and an oil cleanser to balance natural oils.
- Dry skin: The opposite of oily skin, people with dry skin produce less oil than normal. Skin may be flaky or itchy, with a dull overall complexion, and fine lines and wrinkles will be more visible. Exfoliate dry skin with a nourishing scrub and follow up with a serum under your moisturizer.
- Combination skin: People with combination skin have dryness in some areas (typically around the cheeks) and oiliness in others (generally in the T-zone area). Combination skin can overall be dehydrated and irritated. Use a deep nighttime moisturizer.
- Sensitive skin: Signs of sensitive skin may vary, from redness and burning to breakouts, itching, and inflammation. Because certain products and ingredients can help while others may exacerbate the problem, this skin type often requires a bit more care and diligence when it comes to choosing the right products to use. Use a fragrance free Vitamin C serum to provide the immunity the skin needs to combat redness.
Because not all of your customers will have the same skin type, having an in-depth knowledge of your product ingredients and how they interact with each skin type can help you recommend the ideal products for each customer so they can develop their daily skin care regimen. If they’re not sure which skin type they are, there are a few quick tests that can help.
Next, it’s time to develop a healthy routine.
Maintaining healthy-looking skin doesn’t have to be a complicated process. More often than not, developing a successful daily beauty regimen is as simple as choosing the right cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. Serums may also be added for supplemental support or to address specific complexion needs; for more information on serums, check out our All About Serums! blog.
Wash your face twice daily, in the morning and at night, to remove dirt and makeup and avoid clogged pores. Apply a toner, such as Onoxa’s Fresh Tea Face Mist, after cleansing and before moisturizing to remove any excess impurities and to support balanced skin. Finally, a quality moisturizer, such as Onoxa’s Hydrating Face Moisturizer, will help keep skin nourished and feeling soft.
When trying new products for the first time, especially if they have sensitive skin, your customers may want to perform a sensitivity test. This involves choosing an area of the body, such as the inner arm, and applying a small amount of the product to see if it causes a reaction. They should wait at least 48 hours to make sure it doesn’t irritate the skin; if not, the product should be safe to add to their daily regimen.
If your customers ask when they can expect to see results from their new skin care routine, remind them that each formula will react differently on each person’s skin. Some individuals may see results within 2 to 4 weeks, while others may have to wait 1 to 2 months, and some may even see different benefits depending on their skin type, age, and lifestyle.
Marketing tip: If you have a website, consider posting before and after photos of customer results (with their permission, of course). Or, if you run a salon or spa, you can display the photos there. This is a great way for prospective customers to see the benefits of using your private-label skin care products!
Now what? Pass along these everyday tips for healthy-looking skin.
Beautiful skin is about more than just choosing the right skin care products. Like the rest of the body, our skin benefits when we practice good habits every day. In fact, just following these simple tips can make a notable difference in how effective a skin care regimen will be.
- Get plenty of sleep at night. During sleep, hormones are released that help the body repair and regenerate. This is especially important for the skin, which bears the brunt of daily exposure to the elements. Experts recommend between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night to promote collagen production and healthy-looking skin, as well as to support overall wellness. Pro tip: Change your pillowcases at least once a week, and consider switching to silk pillowcases.
- Stay hydrated. Your skin gets thirsty, too! Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help your skin stay hydrated, which in turn may help reduce the appearance of blemishes or imperfections and keep skin looking radiant and healthy.
- Wear sunscreen. Even on overcast days, sun exposure can be damaging to healthy skin. Wearing sunscreen protects your skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and can help prevent long-term damage to your health. Apply sunscreen 15 minutes before going outside.
- Embrace good nutrition. You are what you eat, or so they say, and the same idea can be applied to your skin. A wholesome diet provides the essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to keep your skin looking young and healthy. Check out this list of the 12 Best Foods for Healthy Skin.
- Avoid harmful substances. It goes without saying that a healthy lifestyle promotes healthy skin. In studies, alcohol and tobacco use has been linked to poor skin health and premature signs of aging, so people who regularly drink or smoke may not reap all of the benefits of a regular skin care routine.
Remember to be patient; beautiful skin doesn’t happen overnight.
As with any new wellness regimen, it takes time to find the products and the method that works the best for each individual. Encourage your customers to approach healthy-looking skin in a holistic way, focusing on the many different factors that may affect their skin’s appearance. When skin care becomes a whole-body commitment, the results are bound to be positive.
Ready to start selling?
Build your custom sample kit for just $49!